Reflections on how Christians help each other to grow and mature in loving God with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength and to love their neighbor as themselves.

Monday, October 19, 2009

In Memory of Dr. James C. Logan

Dr. James C. Logan was for many years a fixture at Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, DC. Jim died on Saturday night, October 17. He was 77 years old.

Jim was a gifted teacher, theologian, and scholar. He was generous with his time and energy, especially on behalf of his students. He served as the first E. Stanley Jones Professor of Evangelism at Wesley. The evangelism chair is now named for him.

Jim was the teacher who introduced me to John and Charles Wesley in a way that changed my life and the trajectory of my career. He made me, and many of my classmates, proud to be Methodists. I am saddened by news of his death.

Eternal God, you have shared with us the life of James Logan.
Before he was ours, he is yours.
For all that James has given us to make us what we are,
for that of him which lives and grows in each of us,
and for his life that in your love will never end,
we give you thanks.
As now we offer James back into your arms,
comfort us in our lonliness,
strengthen us in our weakness,
and give us courage to face the future unafraid.
Draw those of us who remain in this life closer to one another,
make us faithful to serve one another,
and give us to know that peace and joy which is eternal life;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I,too, give profound thanks to God for the work and friendship of Dr. Logan, who stimulated me to superior achievement in his worship course. I also remember when he interceded on behalf of some of the students who were unjustly detained by the police for their involvement in antiwar/antidraft protests. As I recall, he actually resided in the men's dorm at that time. My only regret is that I did not have the opportunity to get closer to him before my wife and I moved away from D.C.
--Pat Wadsworth, '74

10:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Logan helped me to receive and celebrate my conversion to the Wesleyan way of salvation. I was deeply blessed by his ministry of teaching, and he honored me by accepting an invitation to preach at my church in Marshall, Texas. He was very supportive of my ministry with the Deaf. I am deeply saddened by the news of his death. He has been and will be a special testament in my faith journey.
Tom Hudspeth, D.Min. 2002

10:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was Dr. Logan who said, "My students are my 'means of grace'". But truly, he was ours.

He was gentle and prophetic.
His great book was never completed, except that it became clear after awhile that he was writing it in the hearts and minds of his students.

He was a friend who searched the past for the clues to the present. He presented to us the Wesleyan trajectory from which we could position our journey and even see the way.

12:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home